Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Day One

On Monday while I was finishing up preparing for this adventure my husband totally suprised me.  He came up to me in the kitchen and said that he just wanted me to know that if this saves money but stresses me out too much then it is okay not to do it... if it doesn't save money but I enjoy it then it is okay with him to keep doing it.  He just wanted me to have fun and to feel like I accomplished something.  

I started out behind because I did not get the banana bread, breadsticks or crescent rolls made on Monday.  Monday afternoon my back started spasming and luckily Sam was home because at one point it dropped me to my knees and he had to help me up off the floor.  So I decided that was enough and I would make those things some other day. 

Tuesday was grocery day and prep day. I headed out at 8:00am and finished up with the shopping around 1ish.  This is what one months worth of groceries looks like. Wow!
I was very tired of shopping and wanted to get home and get off my feet for a few minutes.  So I updated the grocery cart challenge.  Then I headed to the kitchen for the cooking portion.  At this point I wasn't sure what was harder... the shopping or the cooking!

The next step was to get the calzone dough going.  I pulled out my bread machine and started it up on the dough cycle.
Next I started prepping the veggies.  I only cried through the first onion, after that I think I just blocked out the fumes.
My husband came home from work and thought I looked "just so cute" in my red apron.  So he became snap-happy and I fell WAY behind.  I managed to get all the onions chopped, the green bell peppers chopped and half the carrots chopped.  Then I was reminded that I promised him that he could buy new running shoes this pay period.  Which I totally forgot about.  Luckily I had already planned it into the budget but that ended my day of prep. I still had to chop mushrooms, the rest of the carrots, make the calzones, bake the calzones.  I might have been a bit over zealous in my "schedule" I made.  But the main goal of this is to have fun, save money but have fun doing it.  So I did not stress  out I simply said okay the rest will get done tomorrow! The dough went in the fridge and off we went to go buy my guy some running shoes.
This is what 12 onions looks like!  I chopped two extra as a 'just in case'.

4 comments:

Loks said...

Hi
Just what to say I am watching your progress.
I did once a month cooking just over a year ago.
It was an exciting project in the winter time but in the summer when things are busy (here on our farm) it became a head ache. Seeing all those onions brings back memories.

Anyway I found that cooking twice a month a little more my speed.

I think you doing shopping and preparing the same day just might be too much.

Shop and sort things on the counter or in a cupboard and then begin your cutting and browning meat the next day.

Just a thought?

Marlyn
marlyndubay@gmail.com

Lisa said...

I came across your blog from grocery cart challenge. I am very interested in seeing how the rest of your freezer cooking goes. I did a mini version with some ground beef and some chicken this month. I am eating out of the freezer and pantry this month, so that I can save some of my April grocery money and put it towards a huge stockup shopping trip so I can try once a month cooking in May. I am excited and scared about it at the same time! :)

Air Force Wifey said...

Hey Marlyn, you are so right. That was way too much to try to do in one day. That will be one of my changes for next month. I had originally planned on doing all the lunches and then only making two weeks worth of dinners but with only two of us we would be eating the same meals to close together. That is one advangtage that a normal recipe makes multiple meals for us. Thank you for the suggestions!

Air Force Wifey said...

Lisa. How did your mini verson go? I understand the excited and scared part. When I was shopping for this all I really questioned what I was getting myself into! Good luck on your adventure too.

Post a Comment