Thursday, April 23, 2009

Freezer Friday

Welcome to Freezer Friday!

Today I am going to share a recipe for the best tasting tomato soup I have ever had. It lends itself very well to freezer cooking and it is delicious. One day at lunch I found my husband going through the freezer looking at all the soups. I asked him what he was looking for and when he replied that he was looking for the Tomato Basil soup I had to break it to him that we were out of it already. He blurted out that it was the best tomato soup he had ever had and he never wants to go back to canned soup again... I would have to agree with him on it. I can't take credit for it but I can most definitely share it with everyone.

Tomato Basil Soup
Source: Trim-and-Terrific Freezer Friendly Meals
Makes 4 Cups

The Ingredients
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 (28-oz) can chopped tomatoes, with juice
  • 2 cups fat-free chick or vegetable broth
  • 1 cup loosely packed, chopped basil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
Cooking Instructions
In a large non-stick pot, heat the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook until the soup is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a food processor and blend until very smooth. Return to pot and stir in milk.

To Freeze: Cool to room temperature, then transfer to freezer containers, label and freeze. Recommended freezing time: up to 3 months.

To Prepare After Freezing: Remove from freezer to defrost. Reheat in a non-stick pot over a low heat. Alternately, you can reheat in the microwave.

I used water instead of stock and substituted dried basil and it tasted just fine. This recipe freezes well and reheats wonderfully and it is really frugal.



0 comments:

Post a Comment